Bug 41312 - Regression: some web services (e.g. Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Reader) stops working in 3.1-rc2
Regression: some web services (e.g. Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Reader) stops worki...
Status: CLOSED UNREPRODUCIBLE
Product: Networking
Classification: Unclassified
Component: IPV4
All Linux
: P1 normal
Assigned To: Stephen Hemminger
:
Depends on:
Blocks: 40982
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2011-08-17 20:16 UTC by Michel Alexandre Salim
Modified: 2011-08-24 11:16 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Kernel Version: 3.1-rc2
Tree: Mainline
Regression: Yes


Attachments
(working) config for kernel 3.0 (95.86 KB, application/octet-stream)
2011-08-17 20:16 UTC, Michel Alexandre Salim
Details
(regressed) config for kernel 3.1-rc2 (97.06 KB, application/octet-stream)
2011-08-17 20:18 UTC, Michel Alexandre Salim
Details
Amazon Cloud Reader screenshot (245.47 KB, image/png)
2011-08-17 20:21 UTC, Michel Alexandre Salim
Details
Cloud Reader: logout attempt (252.61 KB, image/png)
2011-08-17 20:22 UTC, Michel Alexandre Salim
Details

Description Michel Alexandre Salim 2011-08-17 20:16:16 UTC
Created attachment 69102 [details]
(working) config for kernel 3.0

Dropbox and Amazon Cloud Reader works just fine on kernel 3.0, but the former does not work on 3.1-rc1 and 3.1-rc2, and the latter does not work on 3.1-rc2 (I no longer have a copy of the 3.1-rc1 build I did).

With Dropbox, ps reports that the daemon process is in an uninterruptible state, and it cannot be killed (even with kill -9). Setting SELinux to permissive does not affect things (and Dropbox works with SELinux set to enforcing with kernel 3.0).

With Cloud Reader, on Chrome, it does not display any book -- I perpetually get the "refreshing" icon.

Will attach kernel configurations (I keep the 3.0 and 3.1-rc2 configs as similar as possible, by using 'make oldconfig' on 3.0 with 3.1-rc2's .config.

Reported on Dropbox's forum: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=43140
Comment 1 Michel Alexandre Salim 2011-08-17 20:18:54 UTC
Created attachment 69112 [details]
(regressed) config for kernel 3.1-rc2
Comment 2 Michel Alexandre Salim 2011-08-17 20:21:17 UTC
Created attachment 69122 [details]
Amazon Cloud Reader screenshot

Cloud Reader is stuck displaying a refresh icon, no matter how many times the page is refreshed
Comment 3 Michel Alexandre Salim 2011-08-17 20:22:24 UTC
Created attachment 69132 [details]
Cloud Reader: logout attempt

... and attempting to log out reveals that parts of Cloud Reader (and presumably Dropbox) somehow does not detect an internet connection
Comment 4 Andrew Morton 2011-08-17 20:41:43 UTC
(switched to email.  Please respond via emailed reply-to-all, not via the
bugzilla web interface).

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:17:05 GMT
bugzilla-daemon@bugzilla.kernel.org wrote:

> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41312
> 
>            Summary: Regression: some web services (e.g. Dropbox, Amazon
>                     Cloud Reader) stops working in 3.1-rc2
>            Product: Networking
>            Version: 2.5
>     Kernel Version: 3.1-rc2
>           Platform: All
>         OS/Version: Linux
>               Tree: Mainline
>             Status: NEW
>           Severity: normal
>           Priority: P1
>          Component: IPV4
>         AssignedTo: shemminger@linux-foundation.org
>         ReportedBy: salimma@fedoraproject.org
>         Regression: Yes
> 
> 
> Created an attachment (id=69102)
>  --> (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=69102)
> (working) config for kernel 3.0
> 
> Dropbox and Amazon Cloud Reader works just fine on kernel 3.0, but the former
> does not work on 3.1-rc1 and 3.1-rc2, and the latter does not work on 3.1-rc2
> (I no longer have a copy of the 3.1-rc1 build I did).
> 
> With Dropbox, ps reports that the daemon process is in an uninterruptible
> state, and it cannot be killed (even with kill -9). Setting SELinux to
> permissive does not affect things (and Dropbox works with SELinux set to
> enforcing with kernel 3.0).
> 
> With Cloud Reader, on Chrome, it does not display any book -- I perpetually get
> the "refreshing" icon.
> 
> Will attach kernel configurations (I keep the 3.0 and 3.1-rc2 configs as
> similar as possible, by using 'make oldconfig' on 3.0 with 3.1-rc2's .config.
> 
> Reported on Dropbox's forum: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=43140
>
Comment 5 Michel Alexandre Salim 2011-08-18 12:03:53 UTC
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Andrew Morton
<akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> (switched to email.  Please respond via emailed reply-to-all, not via the
> bugzilla web interface).
>

Replying via email; please let me know if there's any further tests I
can do. I forgot to add the system details: tested on

- Fedora 15 x86_64, wireless network (ath9k)
- Fedora 15 x86_64, wired network    (e1000e)


> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:17:05 GMT
> bugzilla-daemon@bugzilla.kernel.org wrote:
>
>> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41312
>>
>>            Summary: Regression: some web services (e.g. Dropbox, Amazon
>>                     Cloud Reader) stops working in 3.1-rc2
>>            Product: Networking
>>            Version: 2.5
>>     Kernel Version: 3.1-rc2
>>           Platform: All
>>         OS/Version: Linux
>>               Tree: Mainline
>>             Status: NEW
>>           Severity: normal
>>           Priority: P1
>>          Component: IPV4
>>         AssignedTo: shemminger@linux-foundation.org
>>         ReportedBy: salimma@fedoraproject.org
>>         Regression: Yes
>>
>>
>> Created an attachment (id=69102)
>>  --> (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=69102)
>> (working) config for kernel 3.0
>>
>> Dropbox and Amazon Cloud Reader works just fine on kernel 3.0, but the former
>> does not work on 3.1-rc1 and 3.1-rc2, and the latter does not work on 3.1-rc2
>> (I no longer have a copy of the 3.1-rc1 build I did).
>>
>> With Dropbox, ps reports that the daemon process is in an uninterruptible
>> state, and it cannot be killed (even with kill -9). Setting SELinux to
>> permissive does not affect things (and Dropbox works with SELinux set to
>> enforcing with kernel 3.0).
>>
>> With Cloud Reader, on Chrome, it does not display any book -- I perpetually get
>> the "refreshing" icon.
>>
>> Will attach kernel configurations (I keep the 3.0 and 3.1-rc2 configs as
>> similar as possible, by using 'make oldconfig' on 3.0 with 3.1-rc2's .config.
>>
>> Reported on Dropbox's forum: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=43140
>>
>
>
Comment 6 Michel Alexandre Salim 2011-08-23 09:36:52 UTC
Fixed in 3.1-rc3; not sure by which commit especially
Comment 7 Florian Mickler 2011-08-24 11:16:43 UTC
Ok, closing as unreproducible.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.