Bug 35992 - Regression: oops when using a bridge interface with tg3
Regression: oops when using a bridge interface with tg3
Status: CLOSED CODE_FIX
Product: Drivers
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Network
All Linux
: P1 normal
Assigned To: drivers_network@kernel-bugs.osdl.org
:
Depends on:
Blocks: 32012
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2011-05-27 15:28 UTC by Bernd Zeimetz
Modified: 2011-05-30 08:22 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Kernel Version: 2.6.39
Tree: Mainline
Regression: Yes


Attachments
backtrace image (10.54 KB, image/png)
2011-05-27 15:28 UTC, Bernd Zeimetz
Details
full backtrace image (30.80 KB, image/png)
2011-05-28 08:51 UTC, Bernd Zeimetz
Details

Description Bernd Zeimetz 2011-05-27 15:28:14 UTC
Created attachment 59712 [details]
backtrace image

Using a bridge interface with
- eth0 from a Tigeon3 card (Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:1648] (rev 10))
- 3 veth interfaces from LXC
results in a kernel oops on 2.6.39. Up and until 2.6.38.7 I did not run into the issue.

Unfortunately I'm only able to provide a screenshot or a part of the backtrace as I don't have a proper serial console available.
Comment 1 Andrew Morton 2011-05-27 22:22:21 UTC
(switched to email.  Please respond via emailed reply-to-all, not via the
bugzilla web interface).

2.6.38->2.6.39 regression, appears to be bridge-related.  There's a
partial screencap of the oops linked below.

Bernd, it would be helpful if you could set the screen to more rows
(50?) and then retake that photo.  Documentation/svga.txt might help
out.  Thanks.


On Fri, 27 May 2011 15:28:17 GMT
bugzilla-daemon@bugzilla.kernel.org wrote:

> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35992
> 
>            Summary: Regression: oops when using a bridge interface with
>                     tg3
>            Product: Drivers
>            Version: 2.5
>     Kernel Version: 2.6.39
>           Platform: All
>         OS/Version: Linux
>               Tree: Mainline
>             Status: NEW
>           Severity: normal
>           Priority: P1
>          Component: Network
>         AssignedTo: drivers_network@kernel-bugs.osdl.org
>         ReportedBy: bzed@debian.org
>         Regression: Yes
> 
> 
> Created an attachment (id=59712)
>  --> (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=59712)
> backtrace image
> 
> Using a bridge interface with
> - eth0 from a Tigeon3 card (Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit
> Ethernet [14e4:1648] (rev 10))
> - 3 veth interfaces from LXC
> results in a kernel oops on 2.6.39. Up and until 2.6.38.7 I did not run into
> the issue.
> 
> Unfortunately I'm only able to provide a screenshot or a part of the backtrace
> as I don't have a proper serial console available.
> 
> -- 
> Configure bugmail: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
> ------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
> You are on the CC list for the bug.
Comment 2 Bernd Zeimetz 2011-05-28 08:51:17 UTC
Created attachment 59732 [details]
full backtrace image
Comment 3 Bernd Zeimetz 2011-05-28 09:35:48 UTC
On 05/28/2011 12:21 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> 2.6.38->2.6.39 regression, appears to be bridge-related.  There's a
> partial screencap of the oops linked below.

The oops happens as soon as I add the lxc veth interface to the bridge, before
everything works as expected.


A new, full screenshot is attached
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=59732


(For yet unknows reasons I can't access the serial port redirection via ssh and
I won't be able to attach a real serial port cable before Monday, so I'm afraid
you have to work with the screenshot for now.)


> Bernd, it would be helpful if you could set the screen to more rows
> (50?) and then retake that photo.  Documentation/svga.txt might help
> out.  Thanks.

(the kernel says that vga=... is deprecated, guess that documentation is outdated?)

Thanks and cheers,

Bernd
Comment 4 Eric Dumazet 2011-05-28 10:13:37 UTC
Le samedi 28 mai 2011 à 10:58 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> On 05/28/2011 12:21 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > 2.6.38->2.6.39 regression, appears to be bridge-related.  There's a
> > partial screencap of the oops linked below.
> 
> The oops happens as soon as I add the lxc veth interface to the bridge, before
> everything works as expected.
> 
> 
> A new, full screenshot is attached
> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=59732
> 
> 
> (For yet unknows reasons I can't access the serial port redirection via ssh and
> I won't be able to attach a real serial port cable before Monday, so I'm afraid
> you have to work with the screenshot for now.)
> 
> 
> > Bernd, it would be helpful if you could set the screen to more rows
> > (50?) and then retake that photo.  Documentation/svga.txt might help
> > out.  Thanks.
> 
> (the kernel says that vga=... is deprecated, guess that documentation is outdated?)
> 

OK, this sounds like an already fixed bug.

(commit : 33eb9873a283a bridge: initialize fake_rtable metrics)

Could you try latest linux-2.6 tree ?

By the way, if panic stills happen, could you try netconsole ?

Here I just add
"netconsole=4444@192.168.20.108/eth1,4444@192.168.20.112/00:1e:0b:ec:c3:e4" to my boot param

192.168.20.108 is my ip addr,
192.168.20.112 the ip addr of "remote machine",
00:1e:0b:ec:c3:e4 the mac addr of "remote machine"

On "remote machine" I start : netcat -l -u -p 4444 </dev/null


Thanks
Comment 5 Bernd Zeimetz 2011-05-28 11:35:54 UTC
Hi,

> OK, this sounds like an already fixed bug.
> 
> (commit : 33eb9873a283a bridge: initialize fake_rtable metrics)
> 
> Could you try latest linux-2.6 tree ?

I've picked the commit into 2.6.39 and it fixed the issue, thanks for the pointer.


Could we please get that included in 2.6.39.1?

Thanks,

Bernd
Comment 6 Eric Dumazet 2011-05-30 02:58:40 UTC
Le samedi 28 mai 2011 à 13:35 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> Hi,
> 
> > OK, this sounds like an already fixed bug.
> > 
> > (commit : 33eb9873a283a bridge: initialize fake_rtable metrics)
> > 
> > Could you try latest linux-2.6 tree ?
> 
> I've picked the commit into 2.6.39 and it fixed the issue, thanks for the pointer.
> 
> 
> Could we please get that included in 2.6.39.1?
> 

It will, David and Greg took care of this, thanks.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.