Kernel Bug Tracker – Bug 28982
Dell latitude E6510 fails to resume from S3
Last modified: 2011-02-21 21:10:36 UTC
Dell Latitude E6510 suspends to memory fine but on resume the screen stays black and everything is non-responsive. This happens with 2.6.38-rc4 and beyond. 2.6.38-rc3 resumed fine from suspend to S3. (My current stable release on this machine is 2.6.36 which suspends and resumes fine, with uptimes of many weeks).
The symptoms are:
1. The screen is blank.
2. caps lock doesn't light up the caps LED.
3. ACPID based shutdown doesn't trigger when I press the shutdown button.
4. The wifi connection doesn't come up.
5. The sysrq doesn't work.
6. Only thing works is long press on the power.
The things I have tried:
1. Got rid of DRM/i915 completely (all modules blacklisted). The system resumes fine (all the above things work) but the display is still blank. wifi works and I can login and troubleshoot. But no matter what I tried, I could not get the display to wake up.
2. Tried acpi_sleep=nonvs. Same behavior.
3. Tried pm-suspend from the console instead of within X. Same behavior: hard lock up with DRM/i915 and blank display without it.
4. 'vbetool post' after the resume segfaults.
Does this have anything to do with recent NX changes? vbetool post never segfaulted before.
Applied the following and the resume from S3 works fine now.
Where did you get those patches from?
One if from the Intel DRM tree and the other is from the ACPI tree, both
are going to be pushed to Linus in foreseeable future.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Where did you get those patches from?
These were found from the excellent buglist maintained by Rafael in the tracker bug! Great job there Rafael!
I probably would have looked at that bug first if I knew about it. Now, I have it bookmarked...:-)
Fixed by commits:
04dbff5 drm/i915: Fix resume regression from 5d1d0cc
ed764e7 ACPI / Video: Probe for output switch method when searching video devices.