Bug 12245 - S3 resume regression since 2.6.27.2
S3 resume regression since 2.6.27.2
Status: CLOSED CODE_FIX
Product: Power Management
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Hibernation/Suspend
All Linux
: P1 normal
Assigned To: power-management_other
:
Depends on:
Blocks: 7216
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-12-17 18:16 UTC by Dale Blount
Modified: 2008-12-28 05:43 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Kernel Version: 2.6.27.2 through 2.6.27.9
Tree: Mainline
Regression: Yes


Attachments

Description Dale Blount 2008-12-17 18:16:15 UTC
Latest working kernel version: 2.6.27.1
Earliest failing kernel version: 2.6.27.2
Distribution: Arch Linux
Hardware Environment: MSI 7025 (K8N NEO2)
Software Environment: Arch Linux Current (up to date)
Problem Description: As of 2.6.27.1 my system no longer wakes up from resume.  I've unloaded all possible modules (other than required, ext3, usb for keyboard, etc) with no better luck.  I've turned on PM_TRACE but get no hash matches after reboot.  I built and installed a kernel by hand because the distro kernel (mostly stock) was failing.  Same results.  Revert back to 2.6.27.1 and it works again.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Unload all possible modules.
2) echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace
3) echo mem > /sys/power/state (I've also tried hibernate-script and s2ram with the same results).
On power on, there is no video.  My RTC hasn't changed (ntp* is disabled also) so I'm guessing this is why the hash matches from PM_TRACE doesn't hit anything.
Comment 1 Anonymous Emailer 2008-12-17 18:33:23 UTC
Reply-To: akpm@linux-foundation.org


(switched to email.  Please respond via emailed reply-to-all, not via the
bugzilla web interface).

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:16:16 -0800 (PST) bugme-daemon@bugzilla.kernel.org wrote:

> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12245
> 
>            Summary: S3 resume regression since 2.6.27.2
>            Product: Power Management
>            Version: 2.5
>      KernelVersion: 2.6.27.2 through 2.6.27.9
>           Platform: All
>         OS/Version: Linux
>               Tree: Mainline
>             Status: NEW
>           Severity: normal
>           Priority: P1
>          Component: Hibernation/Suspend
>         AssignedTo: power-management_other@kernel-bugs.osdl.org
>         ReportedBy: bugzilla.kernel.org@dale.us
> 
> 
> Latest working kernel version: 2.6.27.1
> Earliest failing kernel version: 2.6.27.2
> Distribution: Arch Linux
> Hardware Environment: MSI 7025 (K8N NEO2)
> Software Environment: Arch Linux Current (up to date)
> Problem Description: As of 2.6.27.1 my system no longer wakes up from resume. 
> I've unloaded all possible modules (other than required, ext3, usb for
> keyboard, etc) with no better luck.  I've turned on PM_TRACE but get no hash
> matches after reboot.  I built and installed a kernel by hand because the
> distro kernel (mostly stock) was failing.  Same results.  Revert back to
> 2.6.27.1 and it works again.
> 
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) Unload all possible modules.
> 2) echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace
> 3) echo mem > /sys/power/state (I've also tried hibernate-script and s2ram with
> the same results).
> On power on, there is no video.  My RTC hasn't changed (ntp* is disabled also)
> so I'm guessing this is why the hash matches from PM_TRACE doesn't hit
> anything.
> 

A regresson in -stable.

Looking at
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
say that I immediately see any likely culprits.

Comment 2 Dale Blount 2008-12-17 18:51:49 UTC
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:32 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> (switched to email.  Please respond via emailed reply-to-all, not via the
> bugzilla web interface).
> 
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:16:16 -0800 (PST) bugme-daemon@bugzilla.kernel.org wrote:
> 
> > http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12245
> > 
> >            Summary: S3 resume regression since 2.6.27.2
> >            Product: Power Management
> >            Version: 2.5
> >      KernelVersion: 2.6.27.2 through 2.6.27.9
> >           Platform: All
> >         OS/Version: Linux
> >               Tree: Mainline
> >             Status: NEW
> >           Severity: normal
> >           Priority: P1
> >          Component: Hibernation/Suspend
> >         AssignedTo: power-management_other@kernel-bugs.osdl.org
> >         ReportedBy: bugzilla.kernel.org@dale.us
> > 
> > 
> > Latest working kernel version: 2.6.27.1
> > Earliest failing kernel version: 2.6.27.2
> > Distribution: Arch Linux
> > Hardware Environment: MSI 7025 (K8N NEO2)
> > Software Environment: Arch Linux Current (up to date)
> > Problem Description: As of 2.6.27.1 my system no longer wakes up from resume. 

        typo ^^ - should say as of 2.6.27.2 as in the summary.

> > I've unloaded all possible modules (other than required, ext3, usb for
> > keyboard, etc) with no better luck.  I've turned on PM_TRACE but get no hash
> > matches after reboot.  I built and installed a kernel by hand because the
> > distro kernel (mostly stock) was failing.  Same results.  Revert back to
> > 2.6.27.1 and it works again.
> > 
> > Steps to reproduce:
> > 1) Unload all possible modules.
> > 2) echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace
> > 3) echo mem > /sys/power/state (I've also tried hibernate-script and s2ram with
> > the same results).
> > On power on, there is no video.  My RTC hasn't changed (ntp* is disabled also)
> > so I'm guessing this is why the hash matches from PM_TRACE doesn't hit
> > anything.
> > 

I've also noticed that it's just more than no video.  The normal lights
on my keyboard don't come on, as well as the *Lock keys not doing
anything when pressed.

Does 2.6.28-rc2 share any new code?  This sounds pretty close to my
symptoms: 

http://lists-archives.org/linux-kernel/19755613-hangs-on-wakeup-from-s2ram.html


Dale

Comment 3 Greg Kroah-Hartman 2008-12-17 18:57:28 UTC
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:32:44PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> A regresson in -stable.
> 
> Looking at
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
> say that I immediately see any likely culprits.

Should be resolved in 2.6.27.10 that comes out tomorrow.  You try the
2.6.27.10-rc1 release before then if you want to test this out right
now.

thanks,

greg k-h

Comment 4 Rafael J. Wysocki 2008-12-18 08:17:24 UTC
Greg, which patch is the fix?
Comment 5 Dale Blount 2008-12-22 20:17:53 UTC
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:56 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:32:44PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > A regresson in -stable.
> > 
> > Looking at
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
> > say that I immediately see any likely culprits.
> 
> Should be resolved in 2.6.27.10 that comes out tomorrow.  You try the
> 2.6.27.10-rc1 release before then if you want to test this out right
> now.

Greg,

I regret to report that it didn't fix my problem.  Same symptoms - black
screen with no usable num/caps/scroll lock on resume.

Dale

Comment 6 Greg Kroah-Hartman 2008-12-22 21:01:38 UTC
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:17:14PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:56 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:32:44PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > A regresson in -stable.
> > > 
> > > Looking at
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
> > > say that I immediately see any likely culprits.
> > 
> > Should be resolved in 2.6.27.10 that comes out tomorrow.  You try the
> > 2.6.27.10-rc1 release before then if you want to test this out right
> > now.
> 
> Greg,
> 
> I regret to report that it didn't fix my problem.  Same symptoms - black
> screen with no usable num/caps/scroll lock on resume.

Crap.

Did you happen to be able to track it down to the specific patch in
2.6.27.2 that caused the problem?

thanks,

greg k-h

Comment 7 Dale Blount 2008-12-23 05:06:04 UTC
I'll try to work on it tonight.  Got any pointers to how I should go about this?

Dale
Comment 8 Dale Blount 2008-12-27 13:46:01 UTC
On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 21:00 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:17:14PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:56 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:32:44PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > > A regresson in -stable.
> > > > 
> > > > Looking at
> > > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
> > > > say that I immediately see any likely culprits.
> > > 
> > > Should be resolved in 2.6.27.10 that comes out tomorrow.  You try the
> > > 2.6.27.10-rc1 release before then if you want to test this out right
> > > now.
> > 
> > Greg,
> > 
> > I regret to report that it didn't fix my problem.  Same symptoms - black
> > screen with no usable num/caps/scroll lock on resume.
> 
> Crap.
> 
> Did you happen to be able to track it down to the specific patch in
> 2.6.27.2 that caused the problem?
> 

I could try, but it appears 2.6.28 has fixed it for me!  I just
suspended and resumed 3 times with no issues. At least no issues I
haven't been used to for years - USB mouse sometimes requires
unplug/replug to get working, but I'm used to doing that by now.

Thanks,

Dale

Comment 9 Greg Kroah-Hartman 2008-12-27 22:03:41 UTC
On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 04:45:51PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 21:00 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:17:14PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:56 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:32:44PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > > > A regresson in -stable.
> > > > > 
> > > > > Looking at
> > > > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
> > > > > say that I immediately see any likely culprits.
> > > > 
> > > > Should be resolved in 2.6.27.10 that comes out tomorrow.  You try the
> > > > 2.6.27.10-rc1 release before then if you want to test this out right
> > > > now.
> > > 
> > > Greg,
> > > 
> > > I regret to report that it didn't fix my problem.  Same symptoms - black
> > > screen with no usable num/caps/scroll lock on resume.
> > 
> > Crap.
> > 
> > Did you happen to be able to track it down to the specific patch in
> > 2.6.27.2 that caused the problem?
> > 
> 
> I could try, but it appears 2.6.28 has fixed it for me!  I just
> suspended and resumed 3 times with no issues. At least no issues I
> haven't been used to for years - USB mouse sometimes requires
> unplug/replug to get working, but I'm used to doing that by now.

Heh, thanks for letting us know.

greg k-h

Comment 10 Rafael J. Wysocki 2008-12-28 05:42:07 UTC
On Sunday 28 December 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 04:45:51PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 21:00 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:17:14PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> > > > On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:56 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > > > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:32:44PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > > > > A regresson in -stable.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > Looking at
> > > > > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.27.2, I can't
> > > > > > say that I immediately see any likely culprits.
> > > > > 
> > > > > Should be resolved in 2.6.27.10 that comes out tomorrow.  You try the
> > > > > 2.6.27.10-rc1 release before then if you want to test this out right
> > > > > now.
> > > > 
> > > > Greg,
> > > > 
> > > > I regret to report that it didn't fix my problem.  Same symptoms - black
> > > > screen with no usable num/caps/scroll lock on resume.
> > > 
> > > Crap.
> > > 
> > > Did you happen to be able to track it down to the specific patch in
> > > 2.6.27.2 that caused the problem?
> > > 
> > 
> > I could try, but it appears 2.6.28 has fixed it for me!  I just
> > suspended and resumed 3 times with no issues. At least no issues I
> > haven't been used to for years - USB mouse sometimes requires
> > unplug/replug to get working, but I'm used to doing that by now.
> 
> Heh, thanks for letting us know.

I'm going to close the bug as "fixed in mainline", but it looks like we need
a patch (or more) in -stable.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.