Bug 12233

Summary: acpi problems on my laptop
Product: ACPI Reporter: andeghost (shell2me)
Component: BIOSAssignee: Zhang Rui (rui.zhang)
Status: REJECTED INSUFFICIENT_DATA    
Severity: normal CC: acpi-bugzilla, jwoithe, nokos, rui.zhang
Priority: P1    
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Kernel Version: 2.6.26-1-686 Tree: Mainline
Regression: ---
Attachments: the output of my acpidump > acpidump.log
the output of my acpidump --addr 0x7F6655C3 --length 0x893 > acpidump.out
output of dmesg
patch-video-cleanup-1
patch-video-cleanup-1
patch: video cleanup
acpidump from Fujitsu S7020 laptop

Description andeghost 2008-12-15 23:38:39 UTC
Latest working kernel version:
Earliest failing kernel version:
Distribution:debian-lenny
Hardware Environment:fujitsu LifeBook S6311,intel core2duo T5600,Intel 82801G,GMA950
Software Environment:BIOS: FUJITSU Phoenix Version 1.25,acpid 1.0.8-1,acpi-support 0.109-9,gnome-power-manager 2.22.1-4
Problem Description:
the fujitsu-laptop model works not well on my laptop:
when i press the hotkey(Fn+F7) to get higher brightness of my laptop, it becomes the brightest level(there are 7 levels and it should not jump to the top level); Then i press Fn+F6 to get lower brightness of the LCD, it does not work any more and it just keep the brightest level.
Steps to reproduce:
in the console(not in the xterm!!!)
press Fn+F7 or Fn+F6,the message will be printed on the screen:
 ACPI Error (psargs-0358): [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.FJEX.GBLS] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
ACPI Error (psparse-0530): Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.LCD_._BQC] (Node f743c860), AE_NOT_FOUND
i want to paste the output of acpidump -b on my laptop here, but the bugzilla does not support comments longer than 65535 words,so i upload
the output of acpidump -b to rapidshare at:
http://rapidshare.com/files/173812227/acpi.txt.html
you can download it there
Comment 1 ykzhao 2008-12-16 00:16:08 UTC
Will you please use the latest pmtool to attach the output of acpidump?
The latest pmtool can be found in 
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/utils/

Thanks.
Comment 2 Zhang Rui 2008-12-16 17:12:09 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> the fujitsu-laptop model works not well on my laptop:
> when i press the hotkey(Fn+F7) to get higher brightness of my laptop, it
> becomes the brightest level(there are 7 levels and it should not jump to the
> top level); Then i press Fn+F6 to get lower brightness of the LCD, it does
> not
> work any more and it just keep the brightest level.
what can you see in /sys/class/backlight/ ?
can you change the backlight by poking /sys/class/backlight/*/brightness?

> Steps to reproduce:
> in the console(not in the xterm!!!)
> press Fn+F7 or Fn+F6,the message will be printed on the screen:
>  ACPI Error (psargs-0358): [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.FJEX.GBLS] Namespace lookup
> failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
> ACPI Error (psparse-0530): Method parse/execution failed
> [\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.LCD_._BQC] (Node f743c860), AE_NOT_FOUND
> i want to paste the output of acpidump -b on my laptop here, but the bugzilla
> does not support comments longer than 65535 words,so i upload
> the output of acpidump -b to rapidshare at:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/173812227/acpi.txt.html
>
please don't use any parameter to get the acpidump, i.e. "acpidump > acpidump.log", and you can attach it here by clicking the "Create a New Attachment" link below.
Comment 3 Peter Gruber 2008-12-17 08:13:01 UTC
can you also attach the output of
acpidump --addr 0x7F6655C3 --length 0x893

(VIST table should contain BQC etc)

can you change the backlight using the platform interface in
/sys/devices/platform/fujitsu-laptop/lcd_level ?
Comment 4 andeghost 2008-12-17 08:22:15 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Will you please use the latest pmtool to attach the output of acpidump?
> The latest pmtool can be found in 
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/utils/
> 
> Thanks.
> 

Sorry, i'm a newbie and it's my first time to report a kernel bug, but
the acpidump i used is the latest version(20071116), it's avaliable in debian-lenny
Comment 5 andeghost 2008-12-17 08:25:49 UTC
Created attachment 19343 [details]
the output of my acpidump > acpidump.log

this the the output of my acpidump > acpidump.log
Comment 6 andeghost 2008-12-17 08:28:25 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> can you also attach the output of
> acpidump --addr 0x7F6655C3 --length 0x893
> 
> (VIST table should contain BQC etc)
> 
> can you change the backlight using the platform interface in
> /sys/devices/platform/fujitsu-laptop/lcd_level ?
> 

Yes i can use that way to change the backlight, but i just want to do it by using the hotkeys Fn+F6 or Fn+F7
Comment 7 andeghost 2008-12-17 08:36:22 UTC
Created attachment 19344 [details]
the output of my acpidump --addr 0x7F6655C3 --length 0x893 > acpidump.out
Comment 8 ykzhao 2008-12-18 00:48:40 UTC
Hi, Andeghost
    Thanks for the info.
    From the description it seems that there exists two issues:
    a.  Hotkey can't work well
    b.  the following warning messages:
        >ACPI Error (psargs-0358): [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.FJEX.GBLS] Namespace lookup
failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
        >ACPI Error (psparse-0530): Method parse/execution failed
[\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.LCD_._BQC] (Node f743c860), AE_NOT_FOUND
    
    The issue b is caused by that there is no GBLS object in AML code, which causes that the _BQC object can't be evaluated correctly. And this issue had better be fixed by BIOS upgrading.
    
    As there exist some fixed about video backlight && fujitsu-laptop driver, will you please try the latest kernel and see whether the hotkey can work?
    Thanks.
    
Comment 9 ykzhao 2008-12-18 00:51:03 UTC
CC: Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Comment 10 andeghost 2008-12-18 08:39:12 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> Hi, Andeghost
>     Thanks for the info.
>     From the description it seems that there exists two issues:
>     a.  Hotkey can't work well
>     b.  the following warning messages:
>         >ACPI Error (psargs-0358): [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.FJEX.GBLS] Namespace
>         lookup
> failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
>         >ACPI Error (psparse-0530): Method parse/execution failed
> [\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.LCD_._BQC] (Node f743c860), AE_NOT_FOUND
>     The issue b is caused by that there is no GBLS object in AML code, which
> causes that the _BQC object can't be evaluated correctly. And this issue had
> better be fixed by BIOS upgrading.
>     As there exist some fixed about video backlight && fujitsu-laptop driver,
> will you please try the latest kernel and see whether the hotkey can work?
>     Thanks.

Thanks very much, but i think there is only one issue that the hotkeys can't work well whick is caused by issue b. I will try to upgrade my BIOS, but I'm afraid it's already the latest version for my laptop, and i will try to use the latest kernel(but I don't think it will fix the problem, because i've used many version of kernels, from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26, but this problem always exists).
I will report any progress. :)
Comment 11 Jonathan Woithe 2008-12-18 14:28:45 UTC
Since 2.6.26 is the latest kernel the reporter has tried it would be well worth trying 2.6.28 when it is released (or even one of the more recent -rc releases).  A lot of video-related changes have gone into 2.6.27 and 2.6.28 which together mean that 2.6.28 supports the backlight of a lot more Fujitsu laptops.

So, please try a 2.6.28 / 2.6.28-rc kernel and report the behaviour.  Don't use 2.6.27 since a patch was missed from the ACPI video system in that release which means the full benefit of the wider video support added to 2.6.27 is only usable by Fujitsu laptops in 2.6.28.
Comment 12 Zhang Rui 2008-12-18 17:50:57 UTC
First of all, it seems we can not control the backlight via ACPI video unless there is a BIOS fixup.

Second, the fujitsu driver can not catch the hotkey events, can it?
If it can, that's great,
if not, there is a acpi notifier chain which can sent out the hotkey event, can this be used by the fujitsu driver?
I mean, in case the acpi video backlight interface doesn't work while the platform driver works, we can:
1. disable the acpi backlight control function by "echo 0 > /sys/module/video/parameters/brightness_switch_enabled"
2. platform register an acpi notifier
3. when hotkey pressed, platform driver get the notification and changes the brightness.
Comment 13 Jonathan Woithe 2008-12-18 18:33:40 UTC
1. Good point - we need to see what effect a BIOS upgrade has.

2. That's a very good question.  From what little information I've seen on the subject it seems that whether the hotkeys are captured by Linux or not (via the fujitsu driver or elsewhere) depends on the laptop.  On my S7020 the brightness hotkeys don't appear visible to software at all (and in fact work perfectly fine without any ACIP video/fijitsu-driver modules loaded).  Other models however seem to see the brightness hotkeys in software with the existing code ACPI video/Fujitsu code.  So it's a little unclear as to what exactly is needed in the general case.

I'll have to look into the notifier functionality in more detail, but on the face of it what you've suggested sounds reasonable if it turns out to be necessary for particular models.
Comment 14 andeghost 2008-12-18 21:22:05 UTC
(In reply to comment #13)
> 1. Good point - we need to see what effect a BIOS upgrade has.
> 2. That's a very good question.  From what little information I've seen on
> the
> subject it seems that whether the hotkeys are captured by Linux or not (via
> the
> fujitsu driver or elsewhere) depends on the laptop.  On my S7020 the
> brightness
> hotkeys don't appear visible to software at all (and in fact work perfectly
> fine without any ACIP video/fijitsu-driver modules loaded).  Other models
> however seem to see the brightness hotkeys in software with the existing code
> ACPI video/Fujitsu code.  So it's a little unclear as to what exactly is
> needed
> in the general case.
> I'll have to look into the notifier functionality in more detail, but on the
> face of it what you've suggested sounds reasonable if it turns out to be
> necessary for particular models.
Thank you very much, I'm qutie sure that my laptop controls the backlight throught ACPI, because when the fujitsu-laptop module was not installed, the hotkeys does not work at all. When the fujitsu-laptop module was installed and I pressed the hotkeys, the gonme-brightness-applet can catch the event and show an icon in the middle of the screen, so I think the software can feel the hotkey events.
I think that nowthat the hotkeys work very well on Windows XP, it can also work well on Linux, so I think the BIOS is not the problem, but I'll still try to upgrade it(if I can find a newer version).
My laptop is an old type which was published at 2006, so I think it will not work for me to upgrade to 2.6.28 kernel, but I will do that tonight :)
By the way, I can change the backlight in this way:"echo n > /sys/devices/platform/fujitsu-laptop/lcd_level"(n differents from 1 to 7) and it works perfectly, so I still think  the problem is caused by software.
Thanks a lot to all of you!
Comment 15 Jonathan Woithe 2008-12-18 21:39:23 UTC
I still think it's worth trying a 2.6.28-rc kernel at this point, so proceed with your plans as outlined above and report back.

I should note that for the next 2 weeks I will have intermittant network access and might not be able to respond regularly in that time.  I will however be able to check in on progress on Monday next week (22 Dec) but beyond that I can't be sure.
Comment 16 Peter Gruber 2008-12-19 01:25:26 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
> First of all, it seems we can not control the backlight via ACPI video unless
> there is a BIOS fixup.

Yes it seems that the BQC etc methods required for acpi-video (<2.6.28) brightness control are not functional (external table seems to some unresolved imports etc.). The new IGD based control (>=2.6.28) is untested. fujitsu-laptop
has another control mechanism which seems to work.
 
> Second, the fujitsu driver can not catch the hotkey events, can it?
> If it can, that's great,

it can but it won't if acpi-video takes responsibility (seems to be partially the case here), fujitsu-laptop would also register a backlight device if acpi-video wasn't there.

> if not, there is a acpi notifier chain which can sent out the hotkey event,
> can
> this be used by the fujitsu driver?

In the (worst) case we have 3 events: a input event by fujitsu-laptop, an acpi event by fujitsu-laptop and an acpi vent by acpi-video. And
I think there also comes userspace into play ... at least in my setup if gnome detects and brightness hotkey event via hal (both input event and acpi event) it tries to set the brightness as it thinks fit (and depending on hal version through the fujitsu-laptop platform device, the backlight device or the acpi-video platform device)
Comment 17 andeghost 2008-12-20 02:49:39 UTC
Hi all! I've compiled 2.6.28-rc9 kernel on my laptop(debian-lenny), but the problem still exists and almost the same. I'll get the 1.28 version of BIOS at Dec 22, then I'll try to upgrade BIOS to see if the problem can be fixed.
Thanks to all of you!
Comment 18 Zhang Rui 2008-12-21 18:27:57 UTC
(In reply to comment #14)
> (In reply to comment #13)
> when the fujitsu-laptop module was not installed, the
> hotkeys does not work at all. When the fujitsu-laptop module was installed
> and
> I pressed the hotkeys, the gonme-brightness-applet can catch the event and
> show
> an icon in the middle of the screen, so I think the software can feel the
> hotkey events.
Hah, it seems that the fujitsu-laptop can catch this events


(In reply to comment #17)
> Hi all! I've compiled 2.6.28-rc9 kernel on my laptop(debian-lenny), but the
> problem still exists and almost the same. I'll get the 1.28 version of BIOS
> at
> Dec 22, then I'll try to upgrade BIOS to see if the problem can be fixed.
> Thanks to all of you!
> 
please boot with acpi_backlight=vendor and see if it helps.
Comment 19 andeghost 2008-12-21 21:22:44 UTC
> (In reply to comment #17)
> > Hi all! I've compiled 2.6.28-rc9 kernel on my laptop(debian-lenny), but the
> > problem still exists and almost the same. I'll get the 1.28 version of BIOS
> at
> > Dec 22, then I'll try to upgrade BIOS to see if the problem can be fixed.
> > Thanks to all of you!
> > 
> please boot with acpi_backlight=vendor and see if it helps.
>
Hi!
   I boot the 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with acpi_backlight=vendor and the hotkeys work normally!!!
   but there are still a littel problem, I have to press the Fn+F7 or Fn+F6 keys many times(more than 5) to have it work. When I first press the Fn+F6 or Fn+F7, the screen just blink and keep the brightness, when I had pressed the hotkeys 5 or more times later, it began to change the brightness and the gnome-brightness-applet show an responding icon in the middle of the screen. And when I press the hotkey in console, the message"ACPI Error (psargs-0358): [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.FJEX.GBLS] Namespace lookup
failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
ACPI Error (psparse-0530): Method parse/execution failed
[\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.LCD_._BQC] (Node f743c860), AE_NOT_FOUND
" does not show up anymore! 
I think the problem is almost fixed, I just want to know why I have to press the hotkeys so many time(at lest 5) to drive it to work.
By the way, if I still have to update the BIOS now?
Comment 20 Jonathan Woithe 2008-12-21 21:46:49 UTC
If a BIOS upgrade is available for your laptop it is probably still worth doing.  

BTW I cannot immediately think of a reason why you must press the hotkeys many times before they start working correctly - that seems a little odd.  Zhang - any thoughts?
Comment 21 andeghost 2008-12-21 23:41:53 UTC
I boot 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with acpi_backlight=vendor, and the hotkeys can work, but I found that if the brightness is at the highest or lowest level, nomatter how many times I press the hotkeys, the screen just blink, show a gnome-brightness-applet icon and keep the brightness. If I change the brightness a little from the highest or the lowest leve, the hotkeys can work perfectly.
If I boot 2.6.26 kernel with acpi_backlight=vendor, the problem still exist and the hotkeys seem do not work at all.
Comment 22 andeghost 2008-12-22 04:13:55 UTC
(In reply to comment #21)
> I boot 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with acpi_backlight=vendor, and the hotkeys can
> work,
> but I found that if the brightness is at the highest or lowest level,
> nomatter
> how many times I press the hotkeys, the screen just blink, show a
> gnome-brightness-applet icon and keep the brightness.
It can work if I press the hotkeys many many times!
Comment 23 andeghost 2008-12-22 04:33:35 UTC
It seems that there are only 4 backlight levels if you control the backlight throught hotkeys, althought there are 8 levels in "/sys/devices/platform/fujitsu-laptop/lcd_level" file.
I'm glad that the hotkeys can work now, the only problem is that I have to press the hotkeys many many times to get it work, but I don't think it's a big problem.
Comment 24 Peter Gruber 2008-12-22 07:35:30 UTC
can you compile the fujitsu-laptop module with debug (CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG) and load it with debug=0xffff
and check whats happening in detail (with and without gnome running!)

> press the hotkeys many many times to get it work, but I don't think it's a
> big
> problem.

I would guess its a problem with multiple clients trying to modify the brighness ... fujitsu-laptop usually only gets a message that any brighness key has been pressed and has to figure of which. If std brighness interface is available (BQC etc.) appropriate acpi_messages are sent by the bios otherwise the bios changes brightness itself and we figure out which key was pressed by the change that occured. Here we seem to be somewhere in the middle (since there is an bug in DSDT and VIST table).
Comment 25 Zhang Rui 2008-12-22 17:08:12 UTC
kill acpid and run "cat /proc/acpi/event"
is there an event every time you press the hotkey?
please attach the output as well
Comment 26 andeghost 2008-12-22 21:05:40 UTC
(In reply to comment #25)
> kill acpid and run "cat /proc/acpi/event"
> is there an event every time you press the hotkey?
> please attach the output as well
> 
this is the output of ps -ef | grep acpid of my system
root        63     2  0 12:47 ?        00:00:00 [kacpid]
root      2739     1  0 12:48 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid
107       3240  3215  0 12:48 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
root      4412  4033  0 12:55 pts/0    00:00:00 grep acpid
then I use "kill -9 2739" to kill acpid
I use the command "cat /proc/acpi/event" and press Fn+F7 two times then press Fn+F6 two times, this is the output:
video LCD 00000086 00000000
fujitsu FJEX 00000086 00000000
video LCD 00000086 00000000
fujitsu FJEX 00000086 00000000
video LCD 00000087 00000000
fujitsu FJEX 00000086 00000000
video LCD 00000087 00000000
fujitsu FJEX 00000086 00000000

Sometime when I was doing nothing, the screen would change the brightness itself,
mostly change from the highest or lowest level to the middle.
Comment 27 andeghost 2008-12-22 21:11:04 UTC
(In reply to comment #24)
> can you compile the fujitsu-laptop module with debug
> (CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG) and load it with debug=0xffff
> and check whats happening in detail (with and without gnome running!)

I'll try to do this tonight, but I never compile a module alone or compile it with debug or load it with debug before, so maye it will cost me a few days. :)
Comment 28 Peter Gruber 2008-12-23 03:10:21 UTC
(In reply to comment #26)
> Sometime when I was doing nothing, the screen would change the brightness 
> itself, mostly change from the highest or lowest level to the middle. 

Had the same problem, tracked it down to gnome-power-manager which seems to think it needs to adjust the brighness once in a while while idling.

(In reply to comment #27)
> (In reply to comment #24)
> > can you compile the fujitsu-laptop module with debug
> > (CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG) and load it with debug=0xffff
> > and check whats happening in detail (with and without gnome running!)
> 
> I'll try to do this tonight, but I never compile a module alone or compile it
> with debug or load it with debug before, so maye it will cost me a few days.
> :)

The debug option is a kernel option and you can (probably) also enable/disable the debug on runtime with /sys/module/fujitsu_laptop/parameters/debug.
Comment 29 andeghost 2008-12-23 09:39:47 UTC
> > I'll try to do this tonight, but I never compile a module alone or compile
> it
> > with debug or load it with debug before, so maye it will cost me a few
> days. :)
> 
> The debug option is a kernel option and you can (probably) also
> enable/disable
> the debug on runtime with /sys/module/fujitsu_laptop/parameters/debug.
> 
There is no file named "debug" in /sys/module/fujitsu_laptop/parameters/ now, even if I boot the kernel with CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG. I think that you mean I should recompile the 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with "Fujitsu Laptop Extras" and "Verbose debug mode for Fujitsu Laptop Extras" and then load the new kernel with CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG, then "cat /sys/module/fujitsu_laptop/parameters/debug"?
Comment 30 andeghost 2008-12-23 09:45:08 UTC
I just found an amazing thing that when I press Fn+F5, the screen blinked and if I press the keys many times, the brightness turned lower!!!
But in fact the Fn+F5 is not defined any hotkeys at all!!! How could they act like Fn+F6???
Comment 31 andeghost 2008-12-24 08:38:19 UTC
I recompiled the 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with "CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG=y" in .config file, then use "echo 0xffff > /sys/module/fujitsu_laptop/parameters/debug", with gnome running, the problem was sitll the same, you have to press the hotkeys(Fn+F6/F7) many times to get them work and if you press Fn+F5, the screen still blink but won't change the brightness.
Comment 32 andeghost 2008-12-24 09:20:15 UTC
(In reply to comment #24)
> can you compile the fujitsu-laptop module with debug
> (CONFIG_FUJITSU_LAPTOP_DEBUG) and load it with debug=0xffff
> and check whats happening in detail (with and without gnome running!)
> 
I just removed gdm in rcconf and rebooted, then "echo 0xffff > /sys/modules/fujitsu-laptop/parameters/debug". I think this is running without gnome, and I found that the Fn+F6/F7 hotkey do not work at all, the system responds nothing if you press them, but the screen will blink if you press Fn+F5(the brightness will not change).
wit gnome running, the problem seems the same. 
Comment 33 Zhang Rui 2008-12-28 17:45:35 UTC
please attach the dmesg output after the test in comment #31
Comment 34 andeghost 2008-12-28 22:20:21 UTC
Created attachment 19514 [details]
output of dmesg
Comment 35 Peter Gruber 2008-12-29 02:22:42 UTC
(In reply to comment #34)
> Created an attachment (id=19514) [details]
> output of dmesg

hmmm ... strange can't see the debug output
Comment 36 andeghost 2008-12-29 21:30:29 UTC
(In reply to comment #35)
> (In reply to comment #34)
> > Created an attachment (id=19514) [details] [details]
> > output of dmesg
> hmmm ... strange can't see the debug output

I'm sorry that I really don't know how to load the fujitsu-laptop.ko module with debug=0xffff when the system is booting, what I did was just "modprobe -r fujitsu_laptop, then insmod fujitsu-laptop.ko debug=0xffff", but once I reboot the system, the value of debug at /sys/modules/fujitsu-laptop/parameters/debug turned to 3 again, I think that's why you can't find any debug message in the output of dmesg, because I can not make the system boot with debug=0xffff.
Comment 37 Peter Gruber 2009-01-02 04:17:13 UTC
(In reply to comment #36)
> (In reply to comment #35)
> > (In reply to comment #34)
> > > Created an attachment (id=19514) [details] [details] [details]
> > > output of dmesg
> > hmmm ... strange can't see the debug output
> 
> I'm sorry that I really don't know how to load the fujitsu-laptop.ko module
> with debug=0xffff when the system is booting, what I did was just "modprobe
> -r
> fujitsu_laptop, then insmod fujitsu-laptop.ko debug=0xffff", but once I
> reboot
> the system, the value of debug at
> /sys/modules/fujitsu-laptop/parameters/debug
> turned to 3 again, I think that's why you can't find any debug message in the
> output of dmesg, because I can not make the system boot with debug=0xffff.
> 
you ca turn on debugging either by 
# modprobe -r fujitsu-laptop; modprobe fujitsu-laptop debug=0xffff
or
# echo 0xffff > /sys/module/fujitsu_laptop/parameters/debug
(here debugging is only on until the next module reload or reboot)
or add 
options fujitsu_laptop debug=0xffff
to a file in /etc/modprobe.d (this is use in any modprobe invocation)

Then look for lines stating with FUJ02B1: in dmesg

# dmesg | grep '^FUJ02B1:'
FUJ02B1: dmi_check_cb_common: auto-detecting usealt
FUJ02B1: dmi_check_cb_common: auto-detecting disable_keys
FUJ02B1: dmi_check_cb_common: auto-detecting disable_adjust
FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_add: config: [alt interface: 1], [key disable: 1], [adjust disable: 0]
FUJ02B1: get_max_brightness: get max lcd level via RBLL
FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level_alt: get lcd level via GBLS
FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_hotkey_add: Invoking _INI
FUJ02B1: call_fext_func: FUNC 0x1002 (args 0x1, 0x0, 0x0) returned 0x0
FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_hotkey_add: Discarded 0 ringbuffer entries
FUJ02B1: call_fext_func: FUNC 0x1000 (args 0x4, 0x0, 0x0) returned 0x120
FUJ02B1: call_fext_func: FUNC 0x1002 (args 0x0, 0x0, 0x0) returned 0xff0101
FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_notify: brightness button event [4 -> 5 (1)]
FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level_alt: set lcd level via SBL2 [5]
FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level_alt: get lcd level via GBLS
Comment 38 andeghost 2009-01-04 21:25:01 UTC
I've used the modprobe and echo ways to load the module as you say, but they
do not work...
When I reboot the system, the value of debug is reset to 3 again, I think
maybe I should install 2.6.28 kernel instead of the rc-9 kernel. I don't
know how to add options in /etc/modprobe.d/, you mean that I shoud creat a
new file "fujitsu-laptop" in that directory?
I think may be because I've installed the 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with wrong
options(with too much debug options), so the debug function can not work
well.
this is the output of "dmesg | grep 'FUJ02B1' "
[    6.823786] bus: 'acpi': add driver Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI
brightness driver
[    6.823799] bus: 'acpi': driver_probe_device: matched device FUJ02B1:00
with driver Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver
[    6.823802] bus: 'acpi': really_probe: probing driver Fujitsu laptop
FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver with device FUJ02B1:00
[    6.823855] input: Fujitsu FUJ02B1 as /class/input/input5
[    6.900092] ACPI: Fujitsu FUJ02B1 [FJEX] (on)
[    6.906240] driver: 'FUJ02B1:00': driver_bound: bound to device 'Fujitsu
laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver'
[    6.906244] bus: 'acpi': really_probe: bound device FUJ02B1:00 to driver
Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver
there seems no debug message.
I&#39;ve used the modprobe and echo ways to load the module as you say, but they do not work...<br>When I reboot the system, the value of debug is reset to 3 again, I think maybe I should install 2.6.28 kernel instead of the rc-9 kernel. I don&#39;t know how to add options in /etc/modprobe.d/, you mean that I shoud creat a new file &quot;fujitsu-laptop&quot; in that directory?<br>
I think may be because I&#39;ve installed the 2.6.28-rc9 kernel with wrong options(with too much debug options), so the debug function can not work well.<br>this is the output of &quot;dmesg | grep &#39;FUJ02B1&#39; &quot;<br>
[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.823786] bus: &#39;acpi&#39;: add driver Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver<br>[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.823799] bus: &#39;acpi&#39;: driver_probe_device: matched device FUJ02B1:00 with driver Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver<br>
[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.823802] bus: &#39;acpi&#39;: really_probe: probing driver Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver with device FUJ02B1:00<br>[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.823855] input: Fujitsu FUJ02B1 as /class/input/input5<br>[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.900092] ACPI: Fujitsu FUJ02B1 [FJEX] (on)<br>
[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.906240] driver: &#39;FUJ02B1:00&#39;: driver_bound: bound to device &#39;Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver&#39;<br>[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.906244] bus: &#39;acpi&#39;: really_probe: bound device FUJ02B1:00 to driver Fujitsu laptop FUJ02B1 ACPI brightness driver<br>
there seems no debug message.<br>
Comment 39 Zhang Rui 2009-01-11 18:45:06 UTC
Created attachment 19755 [details]
patch-video-cleanup-1

please try this patch.
the ACPI
Comment 40 Zhang Rui 2009-01-11 18:45:49 UTC
Created attachment 19756 [details]
patch-video-cleanup-1

please try this patch.
the ACPI video backlight should work even with a buggy _BQC.
Comment 41 andeghost 2009-01-14 21:24:38 UTC
This is the debug message of dmesg, I successfully boot my system with debug=0xffff:
debian:~# dmesg | grep FUJ02B1
[    4.746841] input: Fujitsu FUJ02B1 as /class/input/input4
[    4.825903] ACPI: Fujitsu FUJ02B1 [FJEX] (on)
[    4.832316] FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_add: config: [alt interface: 0], [key disable: 0], [adjust disable: 0]
[    4.832319] FUJ02B1: get_max_brightness: get max lcd level via RBLL
[    4.832514] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[    4.894456] FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_hotkey_add: Invoking _INI
[    4.894552] FUJ02B1: get_irb: Get irb
[    4.894602] FUJ02B1: acpi_fujitsu_hotkey_add: Discarded 0 ringbuffer entries
[   19.468936] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   19.649712] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   19.994814] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   19.994925] FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level: set lcd level via SBLL [0]
[   21.337152] FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level: set lcd level via SBLL [7]
[   21.887329] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   22.025972] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   22.026098] FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level: set lcd level via SBLL [0]
[   23.047321] FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level: set lcd level via SBLL [7]
[   23.116198] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   23.116307] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
[   23.116405] FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level: set lcd level via SBLL [0]
[   23.648831] FUJ02B1: set_lcd_level: set lcd level via SBLL [7]
[   25.381593] FUJ02B1: get_lcd_level: get lcd level via GBLL
I reinstalled my debian system, and I just installed gnome-core and the 2.6.28 kernel, I boot the system with debug=0xffff,acpi_backlight=vendor, but the backlight hotkeys seem not work at all, I can still change the brightness through /sys/devices/platform/fujitsu-laptop/lcd_level.
Comment 42 andeghost 2009-01-15 12:45:18 UTC
I just installed gnome-power-manager, the backlight hotkeys can work now, but I still have to press the keys many many times(the screen just blink) to get them work.
I will try the acpi-video patch as soon as possible.
Comment 43 Zhang Rui 2009-02-09 23:08:24 UTC
ping andeghost. :)
Comment 44 Zhang Rui 2009-02-25 17:48:08 UTC
ping andeghost again. :)
Comment 45 andeghost 2009-03-01 22:40:33 UTC
I'm so sorry that I didn't replay to you for a long time, I've pathed your path with 2.6.28.4 kernel last month, but I couldn't compile the kernel successfully.
I've given up now and I'm using debian lenny + 2.6.28 kernel. I boot the system with acpi_backlight=vendor, and I change the backlight throught /sys/deivices ...
It's not bad.
Comment 46 Jonathan Woithe 2009-03-02 14:48:05 UTC
Zhang: where to from here?  There's probably not much more we can do without further testing.  In any case, is this more an acpi-video issue rather than fujitsu-laptop one (given that the latter works to a point)?
Comment 47 Zhang Rui 2009-03-02 17:31:02 UTC
(In reply to comment #45)
> I'm so sorry that I didn't replay to you for a long time, I've pathed your
> path
> with 2.6.28.4 kernel last month, but I couldn't compile the kernel
> successfully.
what about 2.6.29-rc3?
or you can attach the error output so that I can see what's wrong with the patch.

(In reply to comment #46)
> Zhang: where to from here?  There's probably not much more we can do without
> further testing.  In any case, is this more an acpi-video issue rather than
> fujitsu-laptop one (given that the latter works to a point)?
> 
Agree.
I'm trying to enable the ACPI video on this laptop as well.
_BQC fails because the miss of \_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.FJEX.GBLS.
This is not a problem if we can make ACPI video works without _BQC.
that's what I'm doing in the patch in comment #40.
Comment 48 Zhang Rui 2009-03-11 00:39:27 UTC
Created attachment 20488 [details]
patch: video cleanup

This is the patch I made for upstream.
it would be great if you can give it a try.
If you still want to use the platform specific backlight control, I have to close this bug.
Comment 49 Jonathan Woithe 2009-03-11 15:22:48 UTC
I shall test the patch on my S7020 tonight and get back to you.  Which kernel is the patch against?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the last sentence.
Comment 50 Zhang Rui 2009-03-11 18:21:46 UTC
(In reply to comment #49)
> I shall test the patch on my S7020 tonight and get back to you.  Which kernel
> is the patch against?
> 
2.6.29-rc6

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the last sentence.
> 
I mean I'll close this bug, if andeghost wants to use acpi_backlight=vendor as a workaround and doesn't want to test this patch. :)
It's great that you can reproduce the problem and try the patch. :)
Comment 51 Jonathan Woithe 2009-03-11 19:08:41 UTC
I don't think I can reproduce the problems that andeghost sees.  However, I will test the resulting patch to ensure it doesn't break the S7020 and to see what the resulting acpi-video manages with the S7020 without the vendor driver loaded (if anything).

Sorry for the confusion.
Comment 52 Zhang Rui 2009-03-11 19:40:18 UTC
that's okay,
please show me the result of "grep . /sys/class/backlight/*/*" both w/ and w/o acpi_backlight=vendor.
Comment 53 Jonathan Woithe 2009-03-12 15:53:28 UTC
I was able to test 2.6.29-rc6 with your patch overnight on the S7020.  After loading the video module (without fujitsu-laptop loaded and having not supplied "acpi_backlight=vendor"), /sys/class/backlight/ was completely empty.  This shows that the patch has not caused video to take over the backlight control on the S7020 (something it shouldn't do because the S7020 only has a vendor-specific method available).  So at least for the S7020 this patch does not cause any regression and can go forward.

With fujitsu-laptop loaded (with video already loaded), /sys/class/backlight/ was populated.

  > grep . /sys/class/backlight/*/*
  /sys/class/backlight/fujitsu-laptop/actual_brightness:7
  /sys/class/backlight/fujitsu-laptop/bl_power:0
  /sys/class/backlight/fujitsu-laptop/brightness:7
  /sys/class/backlight/fujitsu-laptop/max_brightness:7

This was the same regardless of whether "acpi_backlight=vendor" was specified.  On the S7020 this is to be expected though.

It would be good if this patch could now be tested on a machine which does have the buggy _BQC method.  In the absence of this the patch should probably be applied to video anyway since at least in theory it seems worthwhile.  I guess the only issue is ensuring it doesn't create regressions for other laptops.
Comment 54 Zhang Rui 2009-03-15 19:45:32 UTC
Jonathan,
please attach the acpidump output of your S7020.
please attach the dmesg output with my patch applied.
I want to see if the ACPI video extension is available on this laptop.:)
Comment 55 Jonathan Woithe 2009-03-15 20:28:21 UTC
Created attachment 20537 [details]
acpidump from Fujitsu S7020 laptop

Here is the acpdidump from the S7020 laptop as requested (I happened to have it with me at work on a USB stick).  I can't give you the dmesg output yet since the laptop's at home.  I'll try to attach that in the next day or so.
Comment 56 Zhang Rui 2009-03-15 22:28:35 UTC
hah, this is a laptop without ACPI video extension support.
I'd say loading ACPI video driver or not has no impact to this laptop.

so, Andeghost,
it would be great if you can give the patch in comment #48 a try.

Jonathan, you don't need to attach the dmesg output anymore.
Comment 57 Jonathan Woithe 2009-03-15 23:56:11 UTC
Ok, no worries.

Actually now you mention it, I knew the S7020 didn't have the ACPI video extension support - it was pointed out to me quite some time ago which was one of reasons why I worked to get the fujitsu-laptop driver into mainline.  If my memory was working today I could have saved you the hassle.  Sorry about that.

And yes, it does seem that the ACPI video driver has no effect on the S7020 (which, for the above reason, is as it should be).
Comment 58 Zhang Rui 2009-03-23 02:10:01 UTC
close this bug because there is no response from the bug reporter (comment #45).